The company was incorporated in 1974 as Carmacks Construction Ltd. with the name derived from the Gold Rush of 1898. It was George Carmacks, Skookum Jim and Tagish (aka Dawson) Charlie that discovered gold in 1896 which caused the Great Klondike Stampede. It was the same pioneering spirit that motivated the founders of the company, Walter Babiy, George Buxton, Harold Irwin and Alvin Reed to form the company and enter into the civil construction industry. After years of dedicated service, the founders have all retired; however, the company continues to operate and prosper under the name of Carmacks, directed by a strong team of committed, long service employees.
In March of 2012, Carmacks was purchased by Eurovia Canada Inc., which is part of the VINCI Group of France. Eurovia is one of the world leaders in the construction of road and rail transport infrastructure, active in 16 countries and employing over 43,000 people. Carmacks is proud to be part of this strong organization.
Although Carmacks has evolved over the years, there is a long standing commitment of integrity and working in the spirit of agreement, honouring relationships and doing what it takes to make a contract successful. With the opportunities that Alberta and Western Canada have to offer, Carmacks will continue to grow and prosper.